ATSARANG PAPAYA- is the most popular appetizer in the Philippines. There are many variation of making atsara, most fruits vegetables, like radish, turnips, sayote, ampalaya, are used in making this tangy appetizer. Pickled green papaya in sweet and sour is the most popular.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 5-10
ATSARANG PAPAYA INGREDIENTS:
- 1 whole medium green papaya (peeled, deseeded and finely shredded)
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 head garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup ginger, sliced
- 1 big white onions chopped
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon msg
- 1 can pineapple chunks
1. Drain the liquid from the finely shredded papaya by squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Put in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, boiled vinegar sugar, salt, msg, black ground pepper, ginger, garlic, carrots and pineapple chunks, green and red bell pepper . Keep on stirring until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat then pour over the grated papaya. Mix well.
4. Transfer the mixture to clean, dry jars with lids. Let cool and refrigerate. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before using.
5. Serve with fried meat or fish or as desired.^