CHICKEN AFRITADA – is another popular Filipino dish cooked in tomato sauce with carrots, potatoes and bell peppers as the main vegetables. This dish is generally believed to have been introduced in the Philippines by the Spaniards.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 3-4
CHICKEN AFRITADA INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 kilograms chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 bay leaf (laurel)
- 1 chicken broth cube
- 1/4 teaspoon msg (vetsin)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (just add to your taste preference)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Pour-in cooking oil in a cooking pot or casserole then apply heat. Add garlic and onions( until light brown).
2. Add the chicken stir fry, then add salt, msg, black ground pepper, bay leaf, soy sauce, and then simmer for 5 minutes, until chicken absorbed seasonings and produce its own oil.
3. Add potato, carrots, green bell pepper, tomato sauce, chicken broth cube, brown sugar, and water.(just add sugar and salt to your taste preference)
4. Mix together then simmer for 15-20 minutes under medium heat until the sauce is thickened.
5. Remove from the fire then serve with rice.