ESCABECHE– is a Filipino recipe is made by frying any kind of meaty fish, and topping with sweet and sour sauce with vegetables. You don’t have to stick to lapu-lapu or any expensive fish in order to make this dish. Choose fishes that are meaty and not too much fish bones (like bangus).
There are countless variations of this dish, from the Spanish adaptation of escabeche to the popular Chinese sweet and sour.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 2-3
- 1 (500 grams) piece large whole tilapia
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to season fish
- 1 cup oil for frying
- 1/4 cup butter, for sauteing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, cut in strips
- 1 thumbsize ginger, jullienned
- 1/2 cup red and green pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 carrot, jullienned
- 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon msg(optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt(adjust to your taste preference)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar(just add to your taste preference)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 c water
1 Season the fish with salt and fry in hot oil.
2. Heat up the pan with oil, saute the garlic, onion and ginger.
3. Put in the carrots and the red, black ground pepper and green bell peppers. Add soy sauce and tomato sauce. Cook for a minute.
4. Add water, brown sugar, vinegar and and bring it to a boil. Do not stir until it comes to a boil.
5. Add and dissolved cornstarch, stir and cook until the sauce becomes thick.
6. Put the fried fish. Then cook for a 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve with rice.