KARE KARE- is a traditional dish complimented with a thick savory peanut sauce. This dish is an easy to make Filipino recipe that contains mainly beef, peanut butter, eggplant and long green beans. Shrimp paste is typically served on the side with Kare Kare to add saltiness.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 4-6
KARE KARE INGREDIENTS:
- 3OO grams os tripe (cut in 2 inch slices) you an also use oxtail
- 250 grams beef chunks
- 1 small banana heart (sliced)
- 1 bundle of pechay or bok choy
- 1 bundle of string beans (cut into 3 inch slices)
- 1 piece eggplant (sliced)
- 1 cup ground peanuts
- 1 beef broth cube
- 1/2 cup ground rice
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 liter of water (for boiling meat and oxtail tripe)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon msg or vetsin
- 3 tablespoons atsuete (dissolve in 1/4 cup of hot water)
1. In a pressure cooker, put in oil then saute garlic, onion until brown. Add the beef chunks and ox tripe, salt, msg and black ground pepper stir fry for 3-5 minutes. Add water, cover and pressure cook for 30-45 minutes or until meat is tender.
2. Once the meat is tender, put-in beef broth cube, peanut butter (mix well), add anatto or atsuete extract, stir then boiled.
3. Once it boiled dissolve ground rice or malagkit in water then put-in to thicken the sauce then add the vegetables ( eggplant, string beans, banana heart)
4. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are cook.
5. Finally add the bok choy then simmer for about 2 minutes. (just add salt just to your taste preference).
6. Remove from heat. Serve with shrimp paste.
1. Heat oil in a pan, saute garlic until brown.
2. Put-in shrimp paste, msg, a little bit of brown sugar and stir until the color turn brown. Cook for 5-10 minutes.