MAJA BLANCA- is a Filipino dessert made from coconut milk, cornstarch, and sugar which is usually served during fiestas and the holidays. Adapted from the traditional Spanish holiday dessert manjar blanco which means white delicacy. It has the consistency of thick gelatine and is usually creamy white in color.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 5-6
MAJA BLANCA INGREDIENTS:
- 200 grams cornstarch
- 1 can evaporated milk (375 ml or 1 & 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 250 grams white sugar
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- any amount finely grated cheddar cheese (or cut into small cube) for toppings
- In a saucepan, dissolve cornstarch in water then put-in coconut milk, evaporated milk, sugar, condensed milk and butter and mix it together.
- Cook with medium heat stirring for 15 minutes. Continue stirring quickly to avoid lumps as it becomes very thick.
- Add the whole kernel corn. Stir for about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Immediately pour mixture into molds. You may use a large dish or individual serving molds. Top with cheese.
- Allow to completely cool down then chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.