PINAKBET-is a popular Ilokano dish, from the northern regions of the Philippines.The basic vegetables used in this dish include native bitter melon, eggplant, tomato, okra, and squash.The original Ilokano pinakbet uses bagoong, of fermented fish, while further south, shrimp paste is used. They also add pork meat, lechon, or even chicharon.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 3-4
- 200 grams pork belly, sliced for frying
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tomato, chopped
- 1 bittermelon, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 eggplant, cut into pieces (diagonally)
- 2 cups squash, diced or sliced
- 8 pieces okra, each sliced diagonally into 2
- 3 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 1/4 teaspoon msg to taste
- 1 cup water
1. In a pan, heat the cooking oil, saute garlic and onion until browned.
2. Add pork cook until browned.
3. Add tomatoes, shrimp paste and msg or vetsin then mix together.
4. Add squash, eggplant, bittermelon, okra and chili finger then mix together.
5. Add msg, and water (mix well) then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until vegetables cooked.(medium fire)
6. Ready to serve with rice.